[Wikipedia-l] Re: Portals, flags, chaos

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 22:55:19 UTC 2005

--- Pete/Pcb21 <pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com> wrote:

> But why would a French-speaker want to read the Japanese Wikipedia
> either?

Maybe, maybe not. It's for them to decide.

> www.wikipedia.org ends up as not particularly useful to anyone, and
> hard
> to make non-ugly. Thus not much of a benefit, and we have to weigh
> against the "broken" links to www.wikipedia.org that have built up
> over
> the years.

How about a beautiful png world map with language zones rather than
countries. Then, drill down to regions, then drill-down to areas. I
bet it could be made really cool.

Otherwise, I say just a list of languages, in their language, with,
AT THE TOP, the browser's default language.

Also, a "Keep this selection as a cookie on my computer"  checkbox.

=====
Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell
chris_mahan at yahoo.com