[Wikipedia-l] Yet another portal page

Till Westermayer till at tillwe.de
Mon Jan 10 21:02:00 UTC 2005

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . till we *) . . .

Hi Mark,

>Again, any browser-setting based redirect or even not a redirect
>but a simple "your language: xxx" notice suffers from problems I
>have already enumerated.

What is the problem with an "your language: German" according to my
browser settings and the possiblity for me to select "English",
"Alemmanisch" or even "Tagalog" in the list below? I don't understand
why this new proposal -- which is helpful in prominently showing a
language the user is understanding and using according to his/her
browser settings, but let's them decide if they want to use this or
another -- is dangerous. Looks to me more like a "oh, so no one will
edit the small languages anymore" issue.

Till