[Wikipedia-l] Re: www portal: "The Free Encyclopedia" in Japanese?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 00:11:40 UTC 2005

But what about the Anglo-Saxon Wikipedia!?!?!!??!!!?

Anyhow, what flag should we use for French? The flag of France? That
is very discriminatory. French is the first language of Quebec, and
the only official language of plenty of countries on multiple
continents (though mostly in Africa).

What about Portuguese? Or Spanish? Or English?

What about Chinese? Taiwanese people will be very offended by the
communist flag, and displaying the nationalist flag might even get us
blocked by Chinese proxies, not to mention the fact that it is also
the official language in Singapore.

What about Hindi? The Indian flag is a bit offensive because that
implies that Hindi is *the* language of the union, which it is not. It
also excludes Fijian speakers of Hindi.

What about Dutch? The Netherlands, Belgium, Surinam, and a couple of
other places speak Dutch.

What about German? or Arabic?

Mark