[Wikipedia-l] Yet another portal page

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Jan 9 19:40:15 UTC 2005

Alfio Puglisi (puglisi at arcetri.astro.it) [050110 06:25]:

> I took the current www.wikipedia.org page and added an auto-selection
> based on the browser language settings. This example recognizes all the
> languages with 10.000+ articles:
> http://www.tommasoconforti.com/portal2.php
> Source on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Portal_code

Nice one!

A wikipedia.ch style search box for the 50,000+ languages would be nice,
and would invite people to do something. (wikipedia.ch has a search box
followed by four 'Search' buttons in different languages to search that
Wikipedia.) Although I believe search is still switched off ... perhaps a
'Go' button in the 50k+ languages? Is that possible with PHP just in that
page?

(Of course, there's a good reason not to do *too* much special with the top
several languages: at some point other languages are going to make that
list, and if we ever want to prune it back they'll resent being dropped
from that status.)

- d.