[Wikipedia-l] Re: A portal page for www.wikipedia.org (was Re: Why www.wikipedia.org => en.wikipedia.org ?)

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sun Jan 9 16:26:57 UTC 2005

Pete/Pcb21 <pete_pcb21_wpmail at ...> writes:

> Anthere wrote:
>
> > I do not think there were be links broken now.
>
> It is very strange that no-one seems to have picked up on this.
> There are clearly many many more links to http://www.wikipedia.org
> (expecting to link to an English language encyclopedia) than ever
> before. The decision has been taken to break these links.
>
> Whether the cost of breaking those links is worth the gain of getting a
> international portal is debatable.

It is true what you say. There are links to www.wikipedia.org whit the idea
that it is the English Wikipedia. There are probably even more to
www.wikipedia.com.

The English Wikipedia have used the domain www.wikipedia.com but never
www.wikipedia.org. And the time that Wikipedia EN was using www.wikipedia.com
is before Wikipedia became famous.

I read almost every article about Wikipedia the you find whit google News.
Those articles are about the English Wikipedia. I happens a lot that the write
about www.wikipedia.com or www.wikipedia.org in the article.

The fact that many persons, even journalist who write about websites, are so
incompetent that the can not even get the url correct is very sad but is not
the problem of Wikipdia. Wikipedia is not responsible for the stupidity of the
humans.

[[w:nl:gebruiker:walter]]