[Wikipedia-l] Re: A portal page for www.wikipedia.org (was Re: Whywww.wikipedia.org => en.wikipedia.org ?)

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Sun Jan 9 09:46:28 UTC 2005

On 9 Jan 2005, at 08:24, Anthere wrote:

> Now... whatever your opinion NSK, please respect Jens work. He took
> time to set these flags, many websites use such a mean, and it has the
> merit of being visual, so easier to navigate. I wish that no flame war
> begins over the topic, so choose your words more carefully.

Thanks :)

And while you may disagree with my proposal, I'd still like to bolster
the case for flags and add that images are easier click targets. Try a
speed test -- from loading http://www.wikipedia.org , how long does it
take to click on Japanese? Then try
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?
title=Www.wikipedia.org_portal&oldid=88466 , how long does it take you
there? (I would have offered Hebrew, but the metric's horribly biased,
because there's only one inline flag -- added just before the reverting
started.)

I still think flags/images are a generally preferable solution. Yes,
there would be fights over, say, Chinese and the flag of the PR of
China. Or over English and using a US flag. But I think the entire
Wikipedia concept shows that risking it, doing it anyway and letting
the wiki process do its magic can solve these issues -- and it's better
than having a dull text-only page forever.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com