[Wikipedia-l] Re: [personal] Wikipedia-l Digest, Vol 18, Issue 28

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Sun Jan 9 08:26:06 UTC 2005

Scríobh Jens Ropers:

>Quite true, however for most (if not all) languages, there is a flag
>that is commonly understood to symbolize the language as well
>(depending on context). No other symbols exist that so clearly and
>graphically identify the respective languages. And I thing it having
>the instant visual indentification that you can get with images is
>worthwhile. That said, someone has removed the flags now (without
>explanatory comment) and I'm taking my time about reverting, because I
>believe community consensus will decide this one.

I agree that the flags look pretty, but there are just too many languages
and countries where they don't sync.  What flag do you put to Afrikaans,
Tibetan, Breton, or Navajo?  Either you end up repeating flags, or some
entries don't have one at all, which looks very ugly.

Nice idea, and it looks visually agreeable, but it's just not practical.

Regards,
- Craig Franklin

Craig Franklin
PO Box 764