[Wikipedia-l] www portal: "The Free Encyclopedia" in Japanese?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Jan 8 14:00:12 UTC 2005

My crappy Win2k laptop won't do non-ISO-8859-1 very well at all. (This is
not a request for tech support.) So, while fiddling with the portal page, I
managed to put "The Free Encyclopedia" up the top in all the six >50k
languages except Japanese. Could someone please fix this? It should be the
characters used on their version of the Wikipedia logo.

The portal template is [[m:Www.wikipedia.org_portal]] .

(Also, I see the logo has no version of our glorious catchphrase. Would
someone be able to do a version with all six versions? I would except I'm
in a rush today.)

For those wondering, the next three largest languages are nl: (47k
articles), it: (32k) and pt: (28k). I predict nl: will go on an all-out
drive for new articles ;-)

It'd be nice if our page was as cool as www.wikipedia.ch . Six search
boxes?

Kate mooted on IRC the idea of autotranslating the page based on browser
accept language - not quite a redirect, but the same content rendered in
the language the browser says it speaks. What do you all think?

- d.