[Wikipedia-l] Request for Amis Wiktionary

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 01:39:12 UTC 2005

Hello Pochung,

This is a strange coincidence because 3 days ago I was wondering when
somebody would start a Wikipedia or a Wiktionary in a Taiwanese
aboriginal language. It seems logical that Amis would be the first
because it has the largest population.

I have a few things to say.

First of all, you don't need to use a Traditional interface - you can
translate the interface to Amis. (not sure if there's a way to say
"click here" in Amis, but you could always use Mandarin words when
there is no Amis word, or you could coin a new term)

Second of all, I think it will be a good idea to divide efforts
between a Wikipedia and a Wiktionary. There are many similarities
between the projects, but on Wikipedia you can give much more
information about a subject, while in Wiktionary you give information
about the word itself (ie pronunciation, translations, definition).
Perhaps it would be a good idea to get a "head start" with the
Wiktionary until you have a "working lexicon" of 500 words, and then
split efforts and start more on a Wikipedia.

While it is more common to start first with a Wikipedia, there have
been proposals recently to 'force' or suggest people to start with
Wiktionary, because it is less "intensive" and is better to get
acquainted with the system.

However, perhaps it will be a good idea to have an article base of 25
or 50 articles on an Amis Wikipedia before concentrating efforts
entirely on Wiktionary - good, solid articles about things relevant to
Amis people, such as Taiwan, Chinese language, Amis, Amis language,
Tayal, Tsou, traditional culture items, and also basic articles on men
and women, some plants common in the Amis area, and some animals.

I think that in general it is a Very Good Thing that a project should
be started for Amis, as it sets an example for other languages in a
similar situation, and provides an outlet for knowledge of Amis people
and a place to use exclusively Amis online.

Mark