[Wikipedia-l] A Solution to Larry Sanger's Criticisms - Project Has Been Around For A While

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 5 18:08:44 UTC 2005

Shaun MacPherson wrote:

> --- Stirling Newberry
>

>>References and a reference engine would be a
>>tremendous help, both for
>>readability, and for writing. I would like to
>>suggest a project:
>>wikicite which would list all available books and
>>create a simple tag
>>mechanism for citing them.
>>
>>Thus something like {{wikicite:Wealth of Nations}}
>>would expand out to
>>a canonical Smith, Adam etc.
>>

>Wikicite is a very good idea.  Especially so since I
>believe the time will come when people will disagree
>what constitutes a good reference, people disagreeing
>on the reference formatting, trouuble in keeping track
>of the different editions and page numbers for a
>quotation, or different printing runs for books.

The fundamental idea is solid, but there should be no need for a
separate project.  It is really just a matter of good research
practice.  Defining a "good" reference is not always a productive
exercise.  We can end up with NPOV disputes and edit wars just as much
over the validity of references as over content.

>As well, if we are citing a public domain work there
>is no reason why the cite cannot bring us to the
>actual document and quotation on wikisource or
>wikicommons.

Ideally yes, but we have a long way to go before we get there.
Importing material from Project Gutenberg may be easy enough, but what
needs to be done is a mass digitization and OCR proofreading of a huge
body of works.  That's a _lot_ of tedious work.  After a little more the
year Wikisource is still working out a lot of its fundamental
procedures, but what you propose is certainly consistent with the
long-term vision that I have had of Wikisource since the day it started.

>>Getting journal articles would be next, and harder,
>>but could be worked
>>out over time. This would make entering sources and
>>bibliography easy,
>>standardised, and current. It would also keep the
>>burden of generating
>>citation lists down, and would be a generally useful
>>resource everywhere.

At the risk of stating the obvious, journal articles are shorter than
books.  One Wikisource contributor has recently begun work on a 1917
National Geographic issue.  That should be an opportunity for getting
some of the bugs out of that approach, and developping standards for the
way we enter journal articles.  Some journal articles may be more
important than others to include. but the simple fact that they are each
individually shorter may be an encouragement.

>Wikicite might be able to keep track of all things
>published.  It would also be useful to keep track of
>books and their printing date to know when things
>enter the public domain to know when to put them on
>Wikisource/Wikicommons.

There is already a considerable overlap between Wikisource and Wikipedia
over the matter of bibliography.  For now I see it as fair game for
both.  I believe that Wikisource should be carrying the fundamental
information that helps in determining the copyright status, but that's
only going to be there if people put it there.  Whatever one might think
of long copyright terms it is still much easier to calculate expiry
based on the year of death than on the year of publication.  It's going
to be another 40 years before that becomes the norm for US
publications..  For them we still need to consider such issues as
copyright renewals.  A 1923 US publication whose copyright was not
properly renewed in 1951 is now in the public domain.  There is no need
for a new wedge project somewhere between Wikisource and Wikipedia.

Ec