[Wikipedia-l] Request for Amis Wiktionary

Pochung Chen pcchen at phys.nthu.edu.tw
Wed Jan 5 09:15:20 UTC 2005

Dear All,

  We would like to open a Wiktionary for the Amis language. Amis is an
Austronesian language used by the Amis -- one of the Austronesian
people in Taiwan. The Amis account for about one third of Taiwan's
indigenous population (i.e. 130 thousand), however, many of the younger
generation do not speak the language and till now there is still no
exact ststistic report of the number of real speakers.

  There are two prevailing writing systems of this language: the
Presbyterian Church system and the International Phonetic Symbol
system, the later is used only within the academic circle. We would
like to edit a Wiktionary which basically employs the Presbyterian
Church system but also notes the IPS so that readers can also know the
exact pronounciations.

  At this moment there are at least three people who are willing to
commit to this project. They are Nakao Eki, Afah Lisin, and Tai-ni
Tsou. The former two are native speakers and the later two as
ethnographers are also familiar with the academic Amis writing system.
Pektiong Tan (zh-min-nan:pektiong) will help those people to get
familiar with the wikipedia system.

  We would prefer to set the default interface language to be Mandarin
with traditional character used in Taiwan (zh-tw) since most of the
potential user of this wiktionary can read Mandarin with traditional
character.

  Proposed domain name:
  http://amis.wiktionary.org/

  Language tag for Amis: