[Wikipedia-l] FYI: A Case of Mutual Aid: Wikipedia, Politeness, and Perspective Taking

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Tue Jan 4 19:42:56 UTC 2005

I recently posted a draft that folks might be interested in:

http://reagle.org/joseph/2004/agree/wikip-agree.html
[[[
A Case of Mutual Aid: Wikipedia, Politeness, and Perspective Taking
This paper explores the character of “mutual aid” and interdependent
decision making within the Wikipedia. I provide a brief introduction to
Wikipedia, the key terms associated with group decision making, and the
Wikipedia dispute resolution process. I then focus on the cultural norms
within Wikipedia that frame participation as a cooperative endeavor. I
conclude by identifying some notions from negotiation literature that may
be inappropriate or require adaptation to the Wikipedia case.
]]]

I would be interested in any feedback, including corrections of my
characterization of Wikipedia and any pointers to historical archives that
shed light on both the "epistemological stance" and norms of politeness. I
expect the former came from Larry Sanger and was present in the Nupedia as
well, and the latter is part of Jimbo Wales's personality. Regardless of
this that this week on questions of expertise, I find these two variables
to be rather complementary as I discuss further in the paper.

--
Regards,          http://www.mit.edu/~reagle/
Joseph Reagle     E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E