Reputation (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Feb 23 18:42:58 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:

>I have tried before, but nobody notices, nobody cares.
>
>In fact, if anything, things have gotten worse for me whenever I have shut up.
>
>Mark

Just because nobody says anything does not mean that nobody notices or
cares.  If I am not involved with the subjects for which you advocate it
doesn't matter if I notice or care.  There are many things said on this
list and elsewhere that I notice and decide that my best contribution to
the subject would be to say nothing.  For most of us interest in the
Ossetian language will at best never be any more than marginal.  We all
feel that our time is best spent on other issues.

It may be sad that many of these lesser known languages are on the path
to extinction, but unless they generate their own will to live it's not
going to happen.  The non-speakers can do no more than let them know
that the means are available.  Nagging about it will accomplish no more
than somebody's mother nagging after her kid to clean up his room.

You don't need to be noticed by everybody unless you're running for
office.  If you reduce the number of your comments it's only natural
that the number of responses will drop.  If you then concentrate your
efforts on a few things, and work co-operatively with others there  to
find a common solution you will be noticed there.  The notice will
certainly be from a smaller group, but it will be a group whose opinion
matters more in that context.

Ec