[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Day 4 Fund Drive Report (updated)

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Feb 22 10:09:25 UTC 2005

[crossposted to wikipedia-l, wikien-l, wikitech-l]

Daniel Mayer (maveric149 at yahoo.com) [050222 20:25]:

> "A small price to pay for a project like this. But get a move on with all those
> ambitious plans for paper versions. Most of the world doesn't have computers."
> by Anonymous

The closest we appear to have to an active plan for this is ... mine!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:David_Gerard/1.0

This relies on rating code (so as to let the Wiki do the work - editorial
committees don't scale, editors with opinions will).

Jimbo's idea - which passes the "simple brilliant elegance" test - is to
set up ratings on a large Wikipedia (e.g. en:!) and just gather data for a
month or whatever. Then release the data for everyone to look at and make
sense of.

This relies on someone who knows PHP writing rating code, or better yet
beating Magnus Manske's existing rating code into production quality ...

I could install MediaWiki at home (it runs on FreeBSD, right?) and hack on
it here. And, ahahaha, learn PHP, of which I know not a jot or tittle. And
I haven't written anything longer than a quickie shell script since 1993.
"Rusty" isn't in it.

So if SOMEONE ELSE who is interested and KNOWS PHP could come forward, that
would be *really good*!

- d.