Article ownership Re: avoiding forks (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] public service ads in Wikipedia?)

Stirling Newberry stirling.newberry at xigenics.net
Wed Feb 16 19:59:43 UTC 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 3:49 PM, the Epopt of Boskone wrote:

>> NSK said:
>>> Have you ever wondered why I rarely edit at Wikipedia?
>>> it's  because I know that nobody will know that an article or
>>> paragraph
>>> was written  by me.
>>
>> Good grief, is that what it's all about?
>
> And I thought /I/ was arrogant and self-centered....

What is is all about is that the dispute resolution process on
wikipedia is often unpleasant, particulary when dealing with organized
groups of poves. One of the reasons that many people want article
ownership is that it is very stressful dealing with cranks and others
who have severely misguided views of the world. If people need an
example, see CSTAR's trials on Bell's Theorum or Xtar's having to deal
with a pove on the Australian Liberal Party.  A large part of the
problem is that often a knowledgeable person must, at length, explain
basic concepts to people who are unwilling to listen - it moves the
activity from "editing for lots of people", which is to say a high
leverage of a writer's time - to "dealing with nasty ignorant people
retail", which is to say a low leverage of a writer's time. A large
part of the problem is that the general equation that someone is
unpleasant when they are wrong is not a sound assertion from an
epistemological stand point, and that numerical superiority of
organized groups generates a great deal of hostility very quickly,
simply because those with numerical superiority have much less
incentive to engage in discussion, but, on the contrary, have every
incentive to try and engage in time wasting behavior.

I feel that NSK is wrong on article ownership, but I do think he has a
point, because it is one made to me by several other people who have
considered editing wikipedia, and who use it as a resource, but are not
willing to deal with some of the problems that it has currently.

There are many pages which are "owned" now by small cabals of editors,
because they can revert away anyone who disagrees with them. In the
spirit of "no formalized page ownership" this should be addressed. My
proposal is tighten the revert rule to be content based, that is three
reverts of particular content in a day is the limit, in each direction,
and that after that people making further reverts are blocked.  Then
create categories for RFC and reverting, requiring that someone
reverting an article place the article in one of the categories based
on the reason for the revert. This isn't that much more work, and will
automatically create a tracking system which is better than searching
edit summaries and better than relying on RFC. The RFC process as is
would remain in place as a way of giving a more detailed explanation of
the source of the dispute. I feel the more "automatic" we make the
process of "raising a red flag" on an article, the more it will be done
rather than edit warring it out.

Commitment to an open process of consensus means, I think, that we
examine where that process is not yet acceptable to people who are
able, energetic and knowledgeable, and who we want as contributors.