[Wikipedia-l] Quenya language

Stephen Forrest stephen.forrest at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:57:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:34:07 +0000, Ron H <aceron99 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> No, it isn't, Andre :) . It's a difference of a factor of 10, which is the
> same as my results. Only thing is: "Klingon" is the name of both the *race*
> and the *language*. Quenya is only the name of the language. So naturally
> 'Klingon' gets more hits. To me, THAT seems a misinterpretation.
>
> I was discussing with Mark the number of *fluent* speakers of Quenya vs
> *fluent* speakers of Klingon. Naturally, fluent speakers are more likely to
> use the Klingon word for "Klingon", just as fluent speakers of Quenya are
> more likely to refer to 'Quenya' rather than "Elf-latin" (the English term
> for Quenya).

I have no wish to extend this discussion inordinately, but this point
doesn't strike me as credible.  'Elf-latin' may be the formal English
name for Quenya, but it is very clear that English speakers, even
those unfamiliar with Quenya, do routinely call it "Quenya", not
'Elf-latin'.  For proof you need look no further than this thread.

I don't see how Google rankings will be of much use here.  'Klingon'
will return a lot of junk about Star Trek, mostly in English.
'tlhIngan' will probably hit a lot of stuff in Klingon.  'Quenya' will
return both stuff in Quenya and stuff in English (or other languages).
 Since the two are commingled, I can't see how you can get any results
out of this.

Steve