[Wikipedia-l] Re: Survey regarding email preference (was Re: html emails)

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Apr 19 04:49:56 UTC 2005

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 01:58:52PM +1000, Tim Starling wrote:
>
>>Chad Perrin wrote:
>>
>>>Text email is universal.  HTML email alienates a great many people.  If
>>>I wanted to see HTML, I'd use a browser or an HTML editor.
>>
>>Check out this survey, done in 2003:
>>http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt8/email_format_preferences.htm
>>
>>87% of the non-technical survey group reported being able to read HTML
>>email, and 93% of the business group. HTML was reported to be preferred
>>over plain text by both groups.
>>

> Oh, well, since it's more than 50% we can afford to just shoot and bury
> the remainder.  Okay.  No problem, then.

Excuse me, I never advocated one course of action over another. That was
my first post to this thread. I have no strong opinion either way, so
instead of adding to the bluster and speculation, I thought I'd
contribute some relevant information, in the hopes that the opinions
subsequently formed might be better educated. For the sake of civil
discussion, please keep your temper in check.

-- Tim Starling