[Wikipedia-l] Re: pitching an idea

Steve Lefevre lefevre.10 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 17 17:35:41 UTC 2005

Timwi wrote:

> Steve Lefevre wrote:
>

>> I'm pitching an idea for a postmodern wikipedia. What I mean by that
>> is that there are multiple concurrent versions of an article.
>

> Good idea!
>

> SEXUAL INTERCOURSE
> from Wikipedia, the free postmodern encyclopedia
>
> If you are under 16 years of age, see [[sex (child version)]].
> If you are over 16 years of age, see [[sex (adult version)]].
>

> JOHN KERRY
> from Wikipedia, the free postmodern encyclopedia
>
> If you live outside the US, please view [[John Kerry (non-US view)]].
> If you are a Republican, please view [[John Kerry (Republican view)]].
> If you are a Democrat, please view [[John Kerry (Democrat view)]].
>

> ABORTION
> from Wikipedia, the free postmodern encyclopedia
>
> If you are religious, please view [[abortion (anti-abortionist)]].
> If you are atheist, please view [[abortion (pro-abortionist)]].
>

> ADOLF HITLER
> from Wikipedia, the free postmodern encyclopedia
>
> If you are a Nazi...
>

> Need I go on?
> Timwi

Yes, go on to the realization of this project!

All kidding aside, you have the basic gist of this idea.

But instead of "If you are..., click _here_", it would present

_John Kerry_ ( 16 authors, 236 signatures, score of 1027, weighted score
of 4,829)
    John Kerry, decorated Vietnam veteran and US Senator, ran for
president...

_John Kerry_ ( 45 authors, 380 signatures, score of 2094, weighted score
of 4,928)
    John Kerry, liberal senator from Massachusetts, made an ill-fated
bid for the presidency...

_John Kerry_ (108 authors, 1,388 signatures, score of 10,000, weighted
score of 6,093)
    John Kerry is a United States Senator. He ran for president on the
Democratic party ticket in 2004...

And here's the troll pit:
_John Kerry_ ( 1 author, 1 signature, score of 1, weighted score of 1)
     George W. Bush stole the election from Kerry through illegal vote
manipulation in Ohio...
_John Kerry_ ( 1 author, 1 signature, score of 1, weighted score of 1)
    John Kerry is technically the current U. S. president, succeeding Al
Gore as the next president-in-exile...