[Wikipedia-l] Re: Encarta goes wiki - sort of...

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu Apr 14 23:41:04 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales (jwales at wikia.com) [050415 07:20]:
>Stirling Newberry:

> >Wikipedia is an increasingly hostile environment. Don't dismiss
> >alternate venues because the wave is cresting on wikipedia.

> For me, the important question is: how do we prevent Wikipedia from
> becoming an "increasingly hostile environment".
> My own view is that we should trust the ArbCom to rid us more quickly of
> poisonous personalities.  Of course this is
> non-trivial, etc.

We're really trying very hard to achieve this in the face of Wikipedia's
remarkable popularity, honest!

>  But we really do put up with an astounding amount of
> absurd behavior in the name of openness.

Personally, one thing I'd hope to achieve from the arb com is sufficiently
neutralising the toxic contributors enough that contributors like Stirling
Newberry don't say "to hell with it."

This is actually ridiculously tricker than it may look from outside.

- d.