[Wikipedia-l] Re: wikipedia in China

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 05:46:51 UTC 2004

Delirium a écrit:
> Anthere wrote:
>
>> Is that censorship ?
>>
>> Well... self-censorship, perhaps.
>>
>> But
>> * the day clitoris pictures are put on the english wikipedia without
>> causing an uproar (because clitoris are shoking and might get
>> wikipedia censored in schools)
>> * the day we can put ethnic statistics on the french wikipedia without
>> causing an uproar (because "races" do not exist and publishing stats
>> might get wikipedia shut down for publishing illegal information)
>

> You should note that the clitoris pictures currently are, and have been
> for upwards of a year, included in the English Wikipedia.
>
> Also, nobody has seriously suggested removing them: the argument has
> been over whether to have them inline or linked.  There is no measurable
> support for actually suppressing their availability, so I don't see the
> similarity---they will be there in some shape or form regardless of
> which side in the argument prevails.
>
> -Mark

I saw with interest that they were online for the time being, which
doesnot hide the *true fact* they were rather heated discussions on this
topic several times for about 18 months as I remember it.

My memory is not so short :-)

But as you perfectly well say, a lot of the argument was whether they
should be inline OR linked. And it did appear agreeable to a *sizeable*
part of the community that the image should be censored INLINE, but
could appear as external links.

Now... I ask the question. Why would it be shocking to provide a
"""short""" article on this board issue (the closing of the board in
China) and invite the reader to have further information by following
external links ?

Especially if these links lead to the english wikipedia for example ?

There is no difference with a LINKED clitoris, since people can still
access the information.

Just as it is helping some american deal with a clitoris picture without
fully censoring the information, it might help the chinese government
without fully censoring the information. It might just help recognise
local sensibilities.

How different is that ?