[Wikipedia-l] Re: One Chinese Wikipedia

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Sep 13 20:05:13 UTC 2004

Mark Williamson wrote:
> Please realise I am not threatening anyone, just letting you know that
> this is going to happen no matter what, and that really what we are
> discussing here is whether it can be hosted by Wikipedia and be
> officially part of Wikipedia, or not.

Threatening is exactly what you are doing.  And such threats don't
strike me as a very helpful way to resolve this particular issue.

What we want to seek is a solution to this very real problem which is
mutually accomodative to all interested parties.  Whether this
ultimately means that a "two wiki" solution is best very much remains
to be seen.

A fork would only be successful or wise if the alternative solution
that we come up with is less desirable than the fork.

Will you agree to not threaten a fork while we all discuss rationally
how we might best deal with the issue technically?  That threat is a
power play which poisons the discussion, and makes it harder for
people to come to the right conclusions.

The new wiki was shut down because it would be irresponsible for us to
set off on such a major departure from present practice, against the
objections of what is a majority (as far as I can tell) of the
existing Simplified _and_ Traditional communities, just on your say-so
and threats.

Maybe we will end up with a two wiki solution.  Maybe we'll end up
with a single wiki solution.  Just relax a bit, and let's discuss it
further.

--Jimbo