[Wikipedia-l] One Chinese Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 04:00:18 UTC 2004

>I think this is a question for the speakers of the language to talk
to us about; it's really a question of mutual intelligibility, isn't
it?

In a manner of speaking, perhaps; but technically it is not because
Chinese writing, in either of the two forms, is only partially
phonetic, I believe the proper terminology has something to do more
with "mutual literacy" or something like that.

>So far as I know, there is no major movement afoot to split the two.
A few people support it, and one of the main ones, the only one who
was actually working on the accidentally-created website, is a 15 year
old American living in Arizona.  I mention this not to say that a 15
year old American living in Arizona can't possibly be right about
this, but rather to indicate what I understand *at the moment* to be
the situation on the ground.

Just curious, Jimbo, but how is my *age* any more relevant to /this
particular issue/ than the number of pets I have or my favourite
colours?

-Jin Junshu/Mark