[Wikipedia-l] Request for new Wikipedia: Friulian

Evan Prodromou evan at bad.dynu.ca
Sun Oct 31 00:36:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-30-10 at 16:09 -0700, Mark Williamson wrote:

> That brings up another thing. What's the big problem if we have a
> nearly empty Wikipedia for a while? How much space does that take up?
> As long as we aren't having heaps of requests to such a degree that we
> need a screening process so that we don't end up with 300 new
> Wikipedias by the end of the year, what's the huge problem?

The security of the computer running a wiki depends on having a healthy
and attentive community actively involved in the wiki. If there is no
community, the wiki software is a security risk. At the very least, it
is an eyesore -- and a poor advertisement for this project.

If you're interested in running a wiki apart from Wikimedia, you can
find lots of free Web hosting services that you can run it at. Here's a
list of PHP-enabled free Web hosting services:

    http://www.0php.com/free_PHP_hosting.php

Here's Yahoo!'s directory of free Web hosting services, some of which
might also be able to run wiki software:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Business_to_Business/Communications_and_Networking/Internet_and_World_Wide_Web/Network_Service_Providers/Hosting/Web_Site_Hosting/Free_Hosting/

If you decide to run a wiki on your own, you can either run MediaWiki,
the great software that makes all the Wikimedia sites run:

    http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/

...or you can try and use another Wiki engine. The canonical list is
here:

    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines

There are a bunch that don't need MySQL behind them, which can make
things easier if you're looking for free hosting.

Good luck!

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou                  .O.