[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Hyperlink convention

Gerard Meijssen gerardm at myrealbox.com
Mon Oct 18 19:52:20 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_in_Germany#Reparations
>
>I just wanted to point out that this example, which I think was
>universally agreed to be A Very Bad Thing(tm), still says "a plan was
>formulated by which Germany was to pay 226 milliard gold marks in
>forty-two fixed annuities".
>
>To my knowledge, virtually no speaker of English will have the
>slightest idea of what this might mean.  First, "milliard" which is
>apparently in declining use everywhere.  Second "gold marks".  A "gold
>mark" is worth approximately what?  I have no clue.
>
>--Jimbo

Thanks to our wonderfull media, the solution should be simple. I created
two interwikis; one to "milliard" and one to "gold mark". Somebody may
know something sensible to say about the gold mark, but the milliard
article is there.

It is one thing not to know a term, it is another not to be able to find
it. People who are confused as to the meaning of a word deserve an
article explaining a term. There is no need to dumb down. Because if we
do that, people will not be able to read the sources of our articles.

Thanks,
    Gerard