[Wikipedia-l] Re: Syriac vs Aramaic

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 21:38:58 UTC 2004

Mark Williamson wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just a short question:
>
> Why is it that we have a Wikipedia for the ancient, dead language
> Aramaic http://arc.wikipedia.org/ - no content currently, but none for
> its modern descendent Syriac (or "Neo-Aramaic"), spoken by millions,
> which according to the ISO code would be at http://syr.wikipedia.org/
> ?

There's no particular pattern to the creation of inactive wikis. To save
server resources, inactive wikis, with no edits, should be deleted. It
was my intention to delete inactive wikis when I wrote the automatic
wiki creation script, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you want a Syriac wiki, I suggest you find some Syriac speakers to
write it, instead of troubling this list with speculation and linguistic
trivia.

-- Tim Starling