[Wikipedia-l] I'll see your milliard, and raise you a thousand million...

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Wed Oct 6 10:23:14 UTC 2004

Having lived and worked in both the UK and Ireland, I dare say that
IMHO the use of "milliard" is now (thank the Gods) relatively scarce
and diminishing in (probably any form of) English. It's an entirely
different story however when it comes to other languages -- e.g. in
German, "Milliarde" is the ''only'' correct way.

(NB: use a non-proportional font here)

So common English usage:		compares to German usage:

million						Million
billion						Milliarde
trillion						Billion
quadrillion 					Billiarde
quintillion					Trillion
etc.							etc.

IMO the "milliard" convention is absolute rubbish, because it
effectively breaks the decimal system and I'm glad it's in decline in
the English speaking world. I wish the same were true for its use in
other languages as well.

</2eurocents>