[Wikipedia-l] Re: Requests for new Wikipedias?

Henry H. Tan-Tenn share2002nov at lomaji.com
Thu Nov 4 04:34:00 UTC 2004

Mark Williamson ti 2004/11/3 EP 08:50 sia-kong:
> The thing is though, it's not like I sent 20 messages in a row asking
> for a Friulian Wikipedia, I wrote one, and responded to peoples
> questions and objections. To not do that might seem like I no longer
> want it created.

Unfortunately perception is not necessarily a rational process.  Ideally
those 20 or so messages should have come from, say, a couple posters
other than yourself, of whom at least one should claim to be a
proficient speaker.  (A certain moral authority is thrown in when that
proficient speaker further claims to be a native speaker, or at least
belong to the language's associated ethnicity.  This appeals to
deep-rooted notions of ethnolinguistic essentialism as encouraged by the
same nation-states whose policies have directly or indirectly
contributed to the destruction of many languages and dialects in the
name of unity -- see [[en:List of state mottos]].)

Regardless, your enthusiasm/advocacy for linguistic diversity is not
only admirable but supported by a number of international institutions
or movements (Declaration of Linguistic Rights [UNESCO]; International
Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [UN, section 27]; European
Charter for Regional or Minority Languages; European Bureau for
Lesser-Used Languages [EU], etc).  Of course, Wikimedia is not bound by
them in any way (not at least until Jimbo has succeeded in taking over
the world ;) ) No, but it's nice to know Wikimedia is not merely being
silly or sentimental.

Anyway, for better or worse, it'd help if Friulian speakers are here to
argue the case.