[Wikipedia-l] Re: power structures

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 23:55:16 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:
> May international wikipedias have a different power
> structure than the english one ?

It depends whether you mean a different technical power structure or a
different effective power structure. If you want, say, sysops to be able
to desysop and create sysops on fr, but on en you want another level of
power to handle that, then at the moment that is not possible. However,
a feature such as that is planned.

Specifically, I want to allow some set of users to configure the power
structure on their wiki, using the web UI.

Of course, you can always have a different effective power structure.
For example you could give all sysops on fr bureaucrat access, and leave
the developer tasks  to Shaihulud.

> Will all the stewards currently listed on meta have
> these powers over all wikipedias or just the english
> one ?

All. That's why there should only be a very small number of them. The
bulk of the administration should be local to each wiki. Everyone should
head down to meta and vote "oppose" on a few nominations.

http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developer_access

> Do they need to have knowledge of sql queries and
> linux stuff ?

No.

-- Tim Starling