[Wikipedia-l] Re: Theora and video policy...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Jun 25 21:51:27 UTC 2004

Adon Metcalfe wrote:
> I think outruling gif's is harsh, unless we provide them with tools to
> convert what they have into something more usable, i.e. on the image
> page have a pointer to tools that conver gif's to mng or a series of
> png's.

Just a note: we haven't completely *banned* GIFs from Wikipedia, though
we've recommended against them because of the not-quite-gone-yet patent
issue. Once the patent expires in Canada, I'll be happy to take them off
of the "warning! X is not a recommended file type" list.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)