[Wikipedia-l] Re: Theora and video policy...

Fennec Foxen fennec at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 19:36:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:51:05 -0500, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> Once the Canadian one expires in 12 days, I see no reason to continue
> prohibiting people from using GIFs.  Of course, whether there's any
> advantage to GIFs over PNGs is another issue, but if we choose not to
> use GIFs, it should be for a non-legal reason, and we should probably
> not be anal about absolutely prohibiting them.

List of Advantages of GIF over PNG:
1) Animation.
2) ???
3) Profit!!!

Erm. Make that just 1, Animation. :)

Advantages of PNG over GIF:
1) better compression ratios available
2) variety of compression levels available
3) better interlacing algorithm available
4) 24-bit color depth available
5) 8-bit alpha transparency possibly available (in some contexts)