[Wikipedia-l] Re: zh.wikipedia.org - having a single unified portal

Philip Newton Philip.Newton at gmx.net
Thu Jun 24 05:31:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:08:55 +0100, Timwi wrote:

> I don't know if any traditional
> character can unambiguously be converted to a simplified one. Your
> message appears to imply this, is that correct?

In general, yes, but not always; see, for example, section 3.5 of
http://www.basistech.com/papers/chinese/c2c.html which was mentioned
earlier in this thread.

(However, the number of problematical TC-to-SC characters is fairly low,
I think. I do not know enough Chinese to assess how "high freqency"
certain problematical characters such as the zhe/zhù one mentioned are.)

Cheers,
Philip