[Wikipedia-l] Re: zh.wikipedia.org - having a single unified portal

Ting Chen Wing.Philopp at gmx.de
Wed Jun 23 10:10:12 UTC 2004

Hello,

I don't think the technical problem is so big.

For the first: we don't need a translation German->English->German, we even
don't need a translation traditional->simplified->traditional.

Second as was already pointed out, the conversion traditional->simplified is
very easy.

So, one technical solution could be we save the articles always in
traditional form in the database. If a user has in his user-setting
simplified, then the server would convert that article into simplified.
After his edition, the server can compare the changes and only converse the
changed part into traditional and save it into database.

This last part is the only place, where the conversion could make failure
because it is possible, that one simplified character is conversed into a
false traditional character. But that is no problem, for one, we can place
some commonly used context related conversions into the program. Second, the
other users can manually correct the failure.

Greetings.
Ting

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router für alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl