[Wikipedia-l] Templates

kelvSYC kelvsyc at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 22 15:35:49 UTC 2004

I like templates, for sure about that.  And a lot of us do.  But I
still have two complaints about them (both of which I've placed a
request in sourceforge).  I'd like to hear a few peer opinions about my
two complaints:

1. The way that pipes work in templates, but that's an oft-requested
feature/bugfix.

2. The lack of default template parameters.  A lot of those "incumbent
series" navigation links could be done with templates if there were
only default template parameters to cover the first and last articles
in the series.  For example, a simplified incumbent template might have

{{{prev}}} | Team captains of the Calgary Flames | {{{next}}}

and another would be

{{{prev}}} | National Pokédex | {{{next}}}

Of course, if you specified something in [[Template:Prev]] or
[[Template:Next]], you could get default template parameters, but what
would you put in either page?  Surely you can't put something in either
page without making it irrelevant for one purpose ("First Captain",
"First Pokédex Entry") or diluting its meaning ("First").  (There is
also the issue of the third pair of brackets, but we'll leave it aside)

What I'd like to see is subpages fulfilling that purpose.  Given
[[Template:foo]] with contents {{{bar}}}, What I'd like to see is for
MediaWiki to, when instantiated without specifying what {{{bar}}}
should be:

- first check if [[Template:foo/bar]] exists (yes, this would mean that
forward slashes can't be part of a template name...) and replace
{{{bar}}} with the contents if it does
- if it doesn't, replace {{{bar}}} with the contents of
[[Template:Bar]] with a set of brackets around it (like it is done now)

Is this idea a good one...?