[Wikipedia-l] zh.wikipedia.org - having a single unified portal

Ian Mackinnon ianm2000uk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:33:09 UTC 2004

OK, as I was editing around in zh.wikipedia.org and having talked to some
people, I've come to realize that it's in the best interest of the China,
Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc communities to share one portal as it's important to
share knowledge and views with each other to better understand each other.
Just as China itself is wide and varied in culture and customs, the
simplified script unifies the nation.

Also, from what I've been told, some people are currently working on some
kind of conversion tool that will enable the automatic interchangeable
conversion between Simplified vs Traditional script. Because of this I have
decided to stop or try to engage as little as possible in updating articles
as until the implementation of the conversion tool is in effect on
zh.wikipedia.org

I was also told not to create seperate articles in Traditional chinese as
two versions of the same article is not in the interest of the community,
but rather having one version of an article that can be accessed and edited
by anyone in either Simplified or Traditional script. The conversion tool
will then do the work to display the script on the end user's screen
according to their preference of either script.

Message: 8