[Wikipedia-l] Categories considered harmful

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jun 20 05:52:20 UTC 2004

Lars Aronsson wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>Library science has indeed invented numerous schemes.  Any such scheme
>>designed for general application is as good as its competitors.  Each
>>developped independently to address the priorities of the originating
>>library.  Any of them may thus be validly criticized for its nationalist
>>tendencies.
>>

>I think you are wrong here, but I wish I was more certain of my case.
>I'm not a librarian.  I'm just fond of observing this German-American
>cultural clash from some distance (from Sweden).

I readily admit that I am not up to date on modern trends in German
library science :-)

>In the field of digital libraries, there is a subculture that likes to
>discuss "thesauri and ontologies", especially bordering on the
>"semantic web" subculture.  It seems to me that most people in the
>thesauri and ontologies subculture are from Germany and have some kind
>of German library science background.  I'm talking about stuff like
>http://www.ecdl2003.org/ecdl.tutorials.html#tutorial4
>and http://www.jcdl2004.org/tutorials.htm#t2a

I checked those links and am not any further ahead.  I think that I can
understand how thesauri might be relevant; however, I'm puzzled by how
they have imported a term from metaphysics to serve their purpose.

>U.S. libraries have the Dewey Decimal system for classification and
>other countries have other systems.  These systems are colored by the
>time and country where they were created.  So far you are right.  But
>it seems to me that perhaps German library science scholars have gone
>deeper into making more of a science of this part of library science.
>Instead of learning, using and teaching the system they have, German
>library scientists discuss how best to design such category systems.
>I've heard them dismiss Yahoo's and Dmoz' category trees as naive
>creations of people who don't know the basics of library science.

Their criticisms of Yahoo and Dmoz are quite likely valid.  Hard core
scientists will dispute that there can be any science in Library
science.  Still we need a technology more than we need a science.  Will
the efforts of the German scientists lead to a user friendly system.
Users too easily reject any kind of coded system.

>I think this is what is happening on wikide-l and I'm glad that we
>have library scientists there.
>
>Problematisieren -- the German word for making a problem out of
>something, to see problems (worthy of a deeper discussion) where
>others don't -- is the first step of a scientific approach.

How scientific does our approach need to be?

>I only speak Swedish, English and German, and this reduces my
>perspectives.  Perhaps Chinese, Russian or French library scientists
>have totally different approaches that I should take into account.

And how has this issue been developping in Swedish?  As I said before,
each wiki is likely to find its own solution to the problem.
Compatibility may need to came at a later stage.

Ec