[Wikipedia-l] Re: Categories considered harmful

Philip Newton Philip.Newton at gmx.net
Sun Jun 20 05:49:59 UTC 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:22:39 +1000, David Gerard wrote:

> Jakob (jakob.voss at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de) [040620 06:28]:
>
> > 2. It's not controllable.
> > You cannot watch a category to get noticed on new articles or when
> > somebody removes an article from the category.
>

> This could do with fixing. OTOH, it's becoming conventional for one's edit
> summary to say "[[Category:xxx]]" when you add an article to category xxx.
> Which of course shows up in your watchlist.

But only if the article was on your watchlist anyway.

If, say, you're interested in [[Category:Goth]], then your watchlist
won't notify you when a new article (that you weren't previously
watching) is added to that category, even if you're watching
[[Category:Goth]].

This is something I've wished for as well, and I hoped watching the
category would provide for that, but no.

It would be a good way to be notified of articles in the topics I'm
interested in, for example.

Cheers,
Philip