[Wikipedia-l] New Wikipedia language

Jiong Sheng sheng.jiong at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 03:40:32 UTC 2004

I thought Chinese Wikipedians have reached consensus at the beginning
of the Chinese Wikipedia project two years ago that traditional and
simplified Chinese should be put together, because essentially they
are one language, with the same grammar and vocabulary. The difference
between traditional and simplified Chinese sometimes is even subtler
than the difference between American and British English.

Most native speakers of the Chinese language can read both sets of
writing system. No one has yet complained that they cannot read
simplified Chinese or traditional Chinese. Our ultimate goal is to
develop an auto conversion script that would display simplified or
traditional Chinese according to users' preference. Progress is slow,
but efforts have been put in. (See
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:%E7%B9%81%E7%AE%80%E4%BD%93%E9%97%AE%E9%A2%98)

The Chinese Wikipedia is not a Simplified Chinese Wikipedia or
Traditional Chinese Wikipedia, but rather a mixture of the two. You
can contribute in both simplified or traditional Chinese. Currently
very few articles are split into two versions, and we now encourage
all contributors to concentrate their efforts in one version of the
article with both traditional and simplified Chinese. Of course
majority of the articles are written in Simplified Chinese, as most
contributors come from mainland. But still there are many articles
written mainly in traditional Chinese, especially those articles
associated with Taiwan.

formulax