[Wikipedia-l] Re: Server down message

Philip Newton Philip.Newton at gmx.net
Sat Jun 12 19:27:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:40:22 -0500, Delirium
<delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> Or at the very least, stick the message on recent changes ahead of time,
> but not every single page until somewhere closer to the actual downtime.

Perhaps this is a good place to ask the question - is RC "required
reading"?

I know that I look at RC on en: nearly never, even though it's where I
do most of my edits, simply because there's *so much* on it.

Yet it's where e.g. the recent Election was announced, apparently (which
I found out from one of the candidates' User pages), and where you
propose to stick downtime notices.

So - should I look at RC regularly?

(Incidentally, I also think 24 hours is a reasonable time span for the
warning to be up.)

Cheers,
Philip