[Wikipedia-l] Server down message

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jun 10 21:58:20 UTC 2004

Ulrich Fuchs wrote:

>Please give us at least 15 Minutes to change the mentioned server down message
>accordingly, so that people can save their work.

While I agree with the at-least-15-minutes notice, I actually have the
opposite complaint about this one (can't please everyone, eh?).  The
outage is scheduled for 1800 UTC on June 11, and has been up since at
least 1700 UTC on June 10.  Do we really need a 25-hour notice on every
wiki page?  It seems that the disruption of having this red-outlined
warning at the top for over a day is actually more than the disruption
of having the wiki be down for a mere 30 minutes.  A previous downtime
had such a message up for nearly three days, if I recall correctly.
Would perhaps putting it up 3-5 hours or so before scheduled downtime be
a decent compromise?

-Mark