[Wikipedia-l] Reply to Tim Starling

Gerard.Meijssen gerardm at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 10 09:07:48 UTC 2004

LS,
I understand from Brian and from Timwi (who placed the monobook.js and monobook.css on nl:wiktionary) that this is where these things must be fixed. I am happy, this does indicate which way to go.

Brian mentioned that he is going to revisit the “template inclusion”. I hope that he will fix the inclusion of headers from within templates; the problem is that no TOC is generated from headers entered from within templates. This would help me a lot in making the standardised presentation (as I envision it) acceptable.

In his mail Brian mentions: “English and German are exceptions to this rule because of special-case work done by the respective contributors.” I have several words ready for inclusion in the nl:wiktionary. I cannot create them for the current restrictions. The idea of wiktionary is that it not only provides the local language words but also the words in other languages. Therefore it is part and parcel of what wiktionary stands for.

The "Enhanced recent changes (not for all browsers)" works again as specified. Thanks!

Brian is right where he says that he does not want to publish everywhere what he is doing. Consequently I am not subscribed to wikitech-l. He mentions that I cannot expect a minimum level of service. This is true up to a point. When a massive exercise like the “1.3 upgrade” is undertaken, there should be a proper conversion with all the necessary steps taken. This does mean that the sysops as a group undertake this. All steps should be taken for all environments. Doing it this way ensures that you provide a quality upgrade and, it prevents all kinds of nastiness down the line. It is in the interest of the sysops to ensure a standardized environment!!

Practically: the {{msg:-nl-}} should be converted to {{-nl-}} there is a script to do it. I cannot run it. It should be part of finishing up the upgrade.

Brian does not think much of en:wiktionary. He thinks that it needs many new features. In the nl:wiktionary, I am adding words for languages with a ISO 639 identification. I have a standardized way to indicate the translations (using ISO 639 to indicate the language) this should enable the quick translation from words from one wiktionary to other wikionaries that support the messages that are used.

I also have a 8878 word glossary (public domain) with mainly English botanical terms with a Dutch explanation. Those are the things I work on.

Concluding; Wikimedia is a success because of all the people that work on it. We all play our part and we do what we can, what we want. However, the aim is to produce something that stands up to scrutiny. It is a long hard road and traveling it together makes it enjoyable.

Thanks,
  Gerard