[Wikipedia-l] Snapshot wikipedia installations in schools

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Tue Jun 8 13:03:20 UTC 2004

Andy Rabagliati wrote:

>  1.	Graphics	(you knew that was coming !)
>
>	To determine feasibility of this, can you give me
>	an idea of the size of a potential graphics archive ?
>	An incremental snapshot would almost be mandatory for
>	this, I think.

Well, the *German* images sum up to ~1GB, so the English ones /might/
still fit on a DVD...

>  2.	A daily SQL update for the main page.
>
>  	This will give it a newsy feel, instead of talking
>	about Mandarin Chinese for two months :-) I know
>	that some of the articles it refers to will not be
>	available, but ... tough.

There are wikipedia "offline readers" under construction - my "Waikiki",
and a "WikiRover". Both use their own rendereing software and a sqlite
database, which opens the possibility of a daily sync with the wikipedia
database. Nothing definite so far.

Magnus