[Wikipedia-l] [Fwd: Re: [Wikitech-l] IRC question]

Guillaume Blanchard gblanchard at arcsy.co.jp
Mon Jun 7 08:44:56 UTC 2004

> Brion : If our servers are cut off, we could lose that communications
channel as
well.

IRC server don't have to be at same place/server than Wikipedia ones.

> Gerard : All this work is done to a large extend by volunteers. The
current infrastructure needs all the attention it can get. IRC on wikimedia
servers will devide the attention and that is not a good idea at this moment
in time.

I didn't said I like this feature right now ;o) It's just a long term view.

> Hashar : If your firewall is blocking IRC, you should probably doing
something
else ... like working :o)

Sure ;o) But running tool as CGI:IRC on a Wikimedia server may be nice for
those you want to use discussion under a firewall. Not necessary during
working time ;o)

Aoineko