[Wikipedia-l] I have been banned HOW CAN I APPEAL

Phil Sandifer sandifer at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 5 20:17:07 UTC 2004

Just to be clear for people, here's what we know about "Editing Saddam
Hussein."

The account was first created on June 4th. It was using the IP
63.230.159.235 prior to logging in as Editing Saddam Hussein. The IP
was used for several of the edits to [[Saddam Hussein]], as well as to
vote against my admin nomination. Subsequently, the attribution for
that vote was changed to Editing Saddam Hussein. This can be seen at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Wikipedia:
Requests_for_adminship&diff=3902017&oldid=3900347

As that vote was being cast, in IRC, Comrade Nick informed me that one
of his "comrades" had voted against me. Comrades here refers to members
of Red Faction, his little group that includes Mr. Natural Health,
irismeister, and J.R.R. Trollkien. So we're faced with two
possibilities here. 1) Editing Saddam Hussein showed up on Wikipedia
and immediately joined an obscure group of users, as well as immedately
took a side on the long-standing controversy surrounding 172, and that
this side was detailed enough to identify who 172's "lapdogs" may or
may not be. 2) Editing Saddam Hussein is a sock puppet.

Now, only a few minutes after that vote, Lir nominated Plato/Comrade
Nick for administrator status, in part because of his leadership of Red
Faction. Lir's IP address is known to be a Qwest address out of Iowa.
The IP that Editing Saddam Hussein was using only ten minutes earlier
was also a Qwest address out of Iowa. This, combined with the
connection to Red Faction, nails the sock puppetry accusation beyond,
to my mind, any serious objection.

The next day, Lir/Editing Saddam Hussein showed up in IRC protesting
his 24 hour block. When people disagreed with him, including Fennec and
myself, we were told to "plz stop talking" to him. Since this is a
somewhat silly request in a public IRC channel, neither of us found it
particularly binding. In my case, since I'd been accused of being a
"lapdog" by this user, I was not particularly inclined to let his
absurd and false summaries of events go uncorrected. Eventually, he
began flooding the channel, as the log Fennec posted earlier in this
discussion shows. For this, Tim Starling kickbanned him.

Aggravating all of this is the fact that, when 172 listed Editing
Saddam Hussein/Lir on ViP, an IP address accused Editing of being a
sockpuppet of "the retard otherwise known as Wik". Hadal deleted the
accusation, and it was put back by a username designed to look like
RickK - in fact, it was an impostor account using an i with an accent
mark, and copying Rick's userpage so that it would pass a cursory
inspection. The fake RickK also added his own belief that Editing/Lir
was Wik. Indeed, it did pass cursory inspection, and fooled several
users, including Hadal and, at first, myself. Now, this IP
(219.88.160.45) is not a Qwest one, but one out of New Zealand, so
there's no firm evidence tying it to Editing/Lir, but it should be
noted that the fake RickK account was used to vote for the
aforementioned nomination of Plato/Comrade Nick, suggesting at least
some tie to Red Faction, which, while circumstantial, is suspicious
considering that we already know sockpuppeting was going on here.

Sorry to be long-winded here, but I wanted to make sure no one was led
into believing there was anything resembling an actual issue here. Just
some marginally novel vandalism by the usual suspects.

-Snowspinner