[Wikipedia-l] A parallel World Wide Web?

Jared redjar at redjar.org
Fri Jun 4 18:15:45 UTC 2004

This thread seems to have gotten stuck on what is appropriate and what
isn't appropriate for Wikipedia content.  There is _no way_ everyone
will ever agree on that and it seems sort of a pointless argument.  We
might as well try to determine "what is art?".

The argument that was initially stated was that "superfluous trivia"
repels qualified people from participating in the creation of
Wikipedia's content.  I'd be interested in people's opinion of this
statement.  When you first started on Wikipedia, did content that
didn't interest you, or you found to be "superfluous trivia" discourage
your participation.  Do you think it discourages other people's
participation?

In my experience, it had no effect.  If there is content on wikipedia
that I'm not interested in or think is superfluous, it has absolutely
no effect on me. I never see it and doesn't consume any of my time.  If
someone else thinks it is interesting or important then they can spend
their time on it.

The only argument that I can come up with that a prospective
contributor would be put off by superfluous trivia, is that their
initial introduction portrays the project as unprofessional. This is a
real possibility, and is in fact the reason I lost interest in
Everything2 years ago.  However, compare the front page of Everything2
with Wikipedia and you immediately get a different feeling about the
two projects.  The front page is the most likely first introduction
users will get, and I think Wikipedia's front page comes off as very
serious and professional.  The best articles are featured, serious news
is covered, and truly interesting anniversaries and "did you know"
facts are selected.

The greatest thing preventing me from contributing to Wikipedia was the
fear of doing something wrong.  There are so many standards to follow
and a new syntax to learn. While the Community Portal certainly helps,
information is still scattered everywhere.

If people are worried about prospective contributors not participating
I think making it clearer how to do contribute would be much more
effective than telling them their expertise in some esoteric field is
superfluous trivia.

Thanks,
-jared