[Wikipedia-l] Re: Request to rename zh-cfr.wikipedia to zh-min-nan

Pochung(Pektiong) Chen(Tan) pcchen at formosa.org
Wed Jun 2 13:30:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Pochung Chen wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > Pochung(Pektiong) Chen(Tan) wrote:
> >> Hi There,
> >> The user community on "southern min" (min-nan) wikipedia would like
> >> to request to rename the currently used "zh-cfr" to "zh-min-nan".
> >> The tag "cfr" makes no sense to the native speaker and the user
> >> community.
> >> The tag "zh-min-nan" makes sense and is a registered RFC 3066 tag.
> >> Please rename the name of southern min wikipedia a.s.a.p, thanks!
> >> pektiong
> >

> > How about minnan.wikipedia.org? It's shorter, doesn't conflict with
> > anything, and is easy to remember.
> >
> > -- Tim Starling

Please use zh-min-nan.wikipedia.org. This name is the consensus of the
community. And following are some rationals.

*most current wikipedia use ISO 639-1/-2 language tag.

*for any new wikipedia whose language doesn't have its own ISO 639-1/-2
language tag, we should use a language tag which is compatible with ISO
639-1/-2.

*we hence should use "RFC 3066 - Tags for the Identification of Languages"
when it is possible.  http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3066.html

*note that for RFC 3066 schema,
All 2/3-letter subtags are interpreted according to assignments found in
ISO standard 639-1/2, i.e., RFC 3066 is compatible with ISO 639.

*RFC 3066's tag for Southern min language is zh-min-nan
http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/zh-min-nan

I hope those arguments can convince the people here that the only logical
name should be "zh-min-nan.wikipedia.org". The article
Taiwanese(linguistics) on English wikipedia should provide many useful
informaiton if you fell the need to understand this language more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_%28linguistics%29

best
pektiong