[Wikipedia-l] User:Fire

Angela_ beesley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 23:01:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:10:08 -0700, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> I am annoyed by the behaviour of user:fire.

Have you thought about discussing this with Fire rather than
embarrassing him by bringing this to the mailing list?

> We don't need this loose cannon who has not
> otherwise participated in Wikisource

Please don't attack users you know nothing about. Fire is not a "loose cannon".

> to sneakily acquire

It wasn't sneaky. It was fully logged on Meta, which is where all
emergency or necessary short term sysoppings occur.

> some kind of superior access

Firstly, Fire has shell access to all of the Wikimedia servers, so
adminship on Wikisource is hardly superior to what he already has.
Secondly, adminship is not supposed to be indicative of any level of
superiority.

> for no other reason to block a user that he does not like.

Whatever makes you think he didn't like the user?

Fire was undertaking an often requested, and largely thankless, task
of renaming users. This is not a job many of the developers enjoy, yet
he and Jeronim have been working through a huge backlog of such
requests over the last couple of days. Attacking people for working on
this, especially when they are completely following the written
recommendations for doing it, is hardly going to encourage our
developers to undertake such tasks is it?

Angela.