[Wikipedia-l] Re: send in the academics

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Sat Jul 31 14:07:45 UTC 2004

Abe <arafi at umich.edu> said:

> How do you create a space where scholars can compete? Since the prizes in
> academia are relevance and prestige, and since relevance/presitge are
> measured by the number of people who are citing your work, Wikipedia could
>  allow users to cite scholarly works in articles, and track those
> citations competitively.

You're talking about Open Access journals. A good overview is here:

	http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/overview.htm

This is a good directory of Open Access journals:

	http://www.doaj.org/

I'm not convinced that Wikimedia stepping into this space is good for either
Wikimedia or academic journals.

~ESP