[Wikipedia-l] Minority/majority question

Ralesk Ne'vennoyx ralesk at livejournal.com
Sat Jul 31 11:29:26 UTC 2004

Gutza wrote:

> Ok, I hoped I could avoid saying what this is about, but I should have
> seen the RO/HU assumptions coming -- and it's only natural.

Worry not, and please don’t higher your defences, I really didn’t mean
to offend in any way.  As you said, yes it’s natural to suspect it mught
be such a difference — which is the exact reason why I tried to
elaborate on such issues.

> The article
> in question is the one about Jesus. The Romanian (Eastern) Orthodox
> Church says that the name should be spelled "Iisus Hristos". Other
> religions in Romania (mainly Catholic branches) say that the Romanian
> name is Isus Cristos.

On that one, I can sadly not offer many suggestions, maybe that you
could go with the more common one then.  Take a look at demographics and
default to the bigger group, and don’t forget to detail the differences
in naming in the article.  If there are more differences between the
eastern and western “interpretations”, it might as well be a good idea
to make a separate entry with links to each other.

> So now you know. It's not about Timisoara, and on a personal note I
> mildly resent the way you presented the analogy, as if Timisoara is
> natively spelled Temesvár in the same way as Vienna is spelled "Wien"; I
> honestly don't understand why you had to bring that into the discussion
> out of nowhere. But let's not get into this now, it would be a waste of
> our time.

It was the only city whose Romanian name I was 100% sure how to write
and went out of my way to get the squiggly thing work under the s :P
Nothing more, just wanted to give examples otherwise.  If it had been
such an issue of spelling, I still believe it is a good idea to favour
the name in the host language, instead of favouring a “foreign” name in
order to please some minority.  Redirects, of course, are welcome.

Then again, had you said what this was about, I hadn’t jumped into this
whole thing at all :)

> Anyhow, the dispute is basically not about the language itself, because
> all religions who dispute the name do it in Romanian. On a side note, to
> put your mind at ease before you assume it as being the case, no Magyars
> are involved in the dispute itself.

Wasn’t worried about that factor at all; again, no need to higher your
defences.  I just hope I can be of help.