[Wikipedia-l] Minority/majority question

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Sat Jul 31 10:37:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

Le Saturday 31 July 2004 11:52, Gutza a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I hope I'm posting this on the right list, don't know where else to
> turn. We have a minor dispute on the Romanian Wikipedia and I'd like to
> ask for your advice. The dispute refers to the naming of an article
> (would prefer not to specify which article, but it's a sensitive topic
> with people). Now, there are two spellings proposed for the article
> name: the one widely accepted in Romania and another one which is
> preferred by a Romanian minority.
>
> Some people say that the article should be named the way the Romanian
> majority spells it, others say it should be named as the minority spells
> it, as to respect the rights of the minority, and most importantly
> Wikiquette. The article topic itself is not per se relevant to neither
> the minority nor the majority in particular. Of course that in both
> cases a redirect will be made from the "other" spelling to the main
> article, regardless of which will remain as the main article and which
> remains as a redirect.
>
> Is there an official standing on this issue? Have other people been
> confronted similar disputes? How did you resolve them? Which of the
> options above would you personally prefer if you were to decide?
>
> --Gutza

We had one such issue on fr: recently about [[Action directe (...)]].

Some wanted to say "(terrorist group)", some "(left-extremist group)", and
some other "(armed group)" and the last "(revolutionary group)".
And any other combinations of the above.

The issue is not settled yet.

Yann
--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence