[Wikipedia-l] Re: Communication, being up-to-date and Mailing List issue

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 15:39:42 UTC 2004

Walter Vermeir wrote:

> That is part of the problem. When there are several WikiMedia news
> channels the compete whit there self. There should be one source page
> whit WikiMedia wide news. That page can be translated by all the
> WikiMedia wikis who care.
>
> That page should be
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_News

I disagree.

I think Wikimedia_News should focus on news about Wikimedia for
outsiders. While goings-on should focus on our internal kitchen stuff,
which is not the business of outside people.

Now, if it is only a question of naming, I do not care, but we should
have a page giving news for press, for potential donators and similar
people, and this page should absolutely not be the goings on as
currently are.

I think most firms have internal and external communication. This is
what intranet and extranet are about. This is the same idea. Our
internal little problems of organisation are not of interest for press
people.

> It's setup is easy. A date and some news. That is easy to translate. I
> do it for NL. The setup of "goings-on" is not so good for translating.
> To complicated.

We may change the set up of goings on if another is best.

> "Wikimedia News" should include to news no on "Meta goings-on". Also now
> there is a lot of non-news on "Wikimedia News". Wikipedia is now so big
> it is no news anymore that some wikipedia now has X articles. That type
> of news should be limited as much possible to big steps of a wiki. A new
> wiki, the first 10 000 articles, 100 000 articles, 500 000 arcticles, ..

Actually, this Wikimedia News might be something meant to be on
wikimediafoundation site if it is not welcome on meta ?

> The Announce-l list is a good idea. I (know as "Giskart" in those days)
> have done a attempt to use it some years ago without succes.
>
> See;
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/announce-l/2002-November/thread.html

Yes, I remember very well. But there was noone willing to participate to
it then. It might be different now ?

> Maybe the time is there now for this. But but for it to work people need
> to be disciplined enough to send the information to the correct list the
> correct way.
>
> Now I see on Wikipedia-l still a lot of postings that should be on
> WikiEN-l. Even this tread does not belong here. The stuff about the
> Arbitration Committee is for wikiEN-l and talk about inter WikiMedia
> communciation is for Foundation-l

Sigh